How to Jumpstart Your Focus: 8 Tips to Thrive
- How to Eat an Elephant- It can be easy to get overwhelmed or distracted with a large project or multiple complex tasks. My best advice…. tackle your projects the same way you would theoretically "eat an elephant". How is this? One bite at a time. Break larger projects down into bite-sized chunks. This will allow you to focus on one piece at a time, and you will see that you are actually making progress on your goals. My second piece of advice is this: try starting your day with the most difficult or least pleasurable task first, so you can cross it off your list. Completing the most challenging task first makes focusing on the rest of your work both more doable and enjoyable. It also starts your day with a huge sense of accomplishment which leads to greater productivity.
- Set Daily Goals- Many of us have a plethora of personal and professional goals. But it can be difficult to stay focused on your overall vision. The numerous or lofty goals can make it challenging to navigate the minutiae of daily tasks. Try setting daily goals for what you want to accomplish the night before, with the most important items at the top of your list. Completing daily goals allows the reward mechanism in your brain that releases dopamine to rewire your brain to repeat this process, leading to more overall success!
- Eliminate Distractions- Find a dedicated spot for work. With so many of us working from home these days, this can be a challenge. If you don't have a designated room, claim even just a corner of a room and set up a workspace. Make sure this area does not have the distraction of television, foot traffic, and other interruptions. Put your devices on airplane mode and set a timer for a specific amount of time for best results.
- Eat Fat- An amazing and tasty way to boost focus is to incorporate more healthy fats into your diet. Your brain is made up primarily of fats, so it is critical to eat quality fats for your brain to function optimally. Ideas to try: add more free range, whole eggs, avocados, wild caught seafood, grass fed butter and MCT oil are great additions to your morning coffee. Good fats help to fuel your body more steadily than carbohydrates. They increase energy and amplify your focus so you can accomplish more on your to do list.
- Drink Water- Most people are chronically dehydrated. Dehydration leads to increased fatigue as it impacts the flow of oxygen to the brain and causes your heart to work harder to pump oxygen, making you more tired and less alert. By staying hydrated you stay energized. We recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces of water as a baseline for good hydration. Add in a pinch of natural sea salt to increase mineral electrolyte balance naturally.
- Move Your Body- The truth is that exercise can enhance our brain's ability to focus. Exercise builds discipline and helps us learn to tune out unnecessary distractions. Exercising regularly is one of the easiest and most effective ways to improve concentration, motivation, memory, and mood. Physical activity boosts the brain's dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels—all of which boost focus.
- Get Your ZZZs- Quality sleep helps us to think more clearly, retain information, and make clear decisions. When we don't get enough good sleep, it impairs our brain's executive function. This function allows us to succeed at work, in school, and in everyday life. A clear, focused brain allows us to stay alert, learn, process information, store items in memory, problem solve, and to use our creativity. We just can't function well without it!
- Drink High Quality Coffee- Last but certainly not least, coffee can be your secret weapon for a focused and productive day. Aside from the desired benefit of providing us with that energizing buzz, studies have shown that caffeine enhances mental performance, alertness, and heightens our overall concentration levels, making that morning cup a highly effective tool for focus. Of course, make sure you're drinking high quality, mold-free, organic coffee like Cardiology Coffee.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read our affiliate policy.